- Priyadarshini Chatterjee from Guwahati was crowned the Miss India World 2016, at the 53rd edition of the beauty pageant held at the Yash Raj Studios on Saturday.
- Priyanka Chopra will receive the ‘Best Actress of the Year’ award by the Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation for her performance in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s ‘Bajirao Mastani’.
- Govt. has roped in cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar to endorse the ‘I Support Skill India’ campaign.The campaign was launched by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE).The ministry’s target is to skill 40.2 crore youth by 2022.
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) for the first time will introduce a heat index for the country.The index will be available on the IMD website and will be updated every three hours. A heat index is calculated based on actual temperatures and relative humidity levels. The index will also comprise a warning colour code if the temperatures cross a particular threshold.
- The International Mine Countermeasures Exercise (IMCMEX) the largest maritime exercise kicked off. IMCMEX begins with a symposium in Bahrain. Maritime forces from more than 30 nations are participating. The exercise is organized and led by U.S. Navy. It aims to protect international trade routes against possible threats. IMCMEX demonstrates the co-operation of international community.
- Britain’s Anthony Joshua has won the IBF world heavyweight title.
- The United Nations will for the first time celebrate the birth anniversary of Dr B R Ambedkar.It will be observed on April 13 with focus on combating inequalities to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDG). India’s Permanent Mission to UN will commemorate the event. On the occasion a panel discussion will be organised on ‘Combating inequalities for the achievement of SDGs’.