- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) has been signed between MicroSave and NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India) to initiate collaboration to support the Jan Dhan Yojana, boost digital transactions and to accelerate creation of less-cash economy in India through RuPay, IMPS, AePS and UPI.
- India retained its top spot in 2015, attracting about $69 billion in remittances, down from $70 billion in 2014, the World Bank said in its annual report ‘Migration and Development Brief’.
- ONGC took over Tapti gas field infrastructure to boost Daman gas Production
- The term Brexit, made with combination of two words ‘Britain’ and ‘Exit’, was in news in second week of April 2016. It came in news after International Monetary Fund (IMF) on 12 April 2016 warned of risks of Brexit or Britain’s exit from the European Union (EU) amidst cutting the global growth forecast.
- PM Modi launched Gram Uday Se Bharat Uday Abhiyan on Dr. Ambedkar’s birth anniversary PM Narendra Modi on 14 April 2016 launched ‘Gram Uday Se Bharat Uday Abhiyan’ at Mhow, Madhya Pradesh. The Abhiyan (campaign) was launched on the 125th birth anniversary of Babasaheb Ambedkar at his birthplace to strengthen Panchayati Raj in villages and ensure social harmony in villages. The campaign also seeks to promote rural development and foster farmers’ welfare and livelihoods to poor. The 11-day campaign (from 14 April to 24 April 2016) will focus on generating nationwide efforts on promoting the aim of the programme. The campaign will be run jointly by the Ministries of Rural Development, Agriculture, Social Justice, Labour and Information and Broadcasting along with the States. It will be conducted across the country, beginning with the Birth Anniversary of Dr. BR Ambedkar on 14 April 2016, culminating in “National Panchayati Raj Day” on 24 April 2016.
- Nuclear-capable K-4 undersea ballistic missile successfully test fired from INS Arihant
- Maharashtra CM Fadnavis launched Mission Drinking Water
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma appointed chairman of IAMAI payments banks group Industry body Internet and Mobile Association of India, has appointed Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma, chairman of its the newly formed payments banks group.
- Kalash (Kalasha), are a Dardic indigenous people residing in the Chitral District of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan. The community considered unique because in Pakistan they are the smallest religious minority with a population of around 3000. They speak their own Kalasha language and celebrate their gods through music, dance and alcohol. According to the Kalash Peoples Development Network (KPDN), the Kalash who ruled Chitral centuries ago maintained their separate cultural traditions and their language Kalasha belongs to the Dardic family of the Indo-Iranian branch.